Tuesday, March 16, 2021

VANISHING TWIN


CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: VANISHING TWIN AT KINGS PLACE, KINGS CROSS - 1/5/20 - CANCELLED

Every night the foxes frolic in the garden. There are four cubs and their mother. At least we assume it’s their mother. The cubs play fight on the lawn, and chase each other around with abandon. 
  You see it everywhere now – the street, the park, the garden. With everyone locked up, the foxes have become bolder. 
  This afternoon we went for a walk. Just around the block. Nothing more. You’re not allowed to do much more than that. We made it to the park. Not the rec which is really busy these days, just the little local park in the estate. Even though I hadn’t really done much, by the time I got there I was feeling really tired. I sat down on a bench – you’re allowed to rest, the sign said, for a few minutes at least – and closed my eyes, enjoying the sunshine. When I opened my eyes wife was talking to a woman she knows, and the kids were looking with great interest at something on the ground. I wrote a little poem about the foxes:

Foxes in the night light
Think that no one’s looking
But someone is looking
Me
I’m looking

Even at the time I didn’t think it was much good. Then wife beckoned me over, and we sat in the grass and made daisy chains.
  The night light in the garden flicks on. The foxes are at it again. They can have it, I think. Let them have it. The garden. The park. The street. The world, if they want it. Let them have it all. Let the foxes have a go. See what happens. It could hardly be any worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment